Watch the video clip then consider the questions below. Scroll down to the end for the answers.
A: What factors need to be considered in altering the current eating patterns for John?
(Hint: Refer to your orange CAPs manual page 131)
Select the correct answer from the list below:
- What are his food preferences?
- Does he have swallowing problems?
- Does he have dental or other mouth problems?
- Does he need reminding or others to assist him while eating?
- Does he have cognitive or communication problems?
- Does he have mood problems?
- Could medication be affecting his appetite?
- Is his physical and social environment he is eating in appropriate?
- All of the above.
B. The Undernutrition CAP has triggered as medium risk for John. What does this mean? Select the correct answer from the list below:
- John is not feeling hungry.
- John’s BMI is between 16-17
- John doesn’t look underweight so there is nothing to be concerned about.
- John has a BMI of 21 or less and no end of life diagnosis.
C. The Undernutrition CAP has triggered as medium risk for John. What are the suggested goals of care? Select three correct responses from the list below:
(Hint: Refer to your orange CAPs manual page 129)
- Address underlying causes that contribute to undernutrition, or the risk of it.
- Improve performance if functioning below capacity.
- Avoid premature admission to a long term care facility.
- Support safe and independent decision making.
- Implement a reasonable treatment plan to prevent further weight loss.
- Increase quality of life by preventing consequences of undernutrition.
Answers - A:9, B:4, C:1,5,6.